So we’re a little behind with sharing this HUGE NEWS, but the girls are HOME!!

Their last week at Chateau Children’s was eventful:

Both had “fancy” hearing tests. They had both failed the Otoacoustic Emissions (OAE) test with the nurses several times because they are such snorty girls and their noises interfered too much with the test results. The audiologist came and gave them each the Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) test, which took about an hour and a half each! Nora passed, but Bryn has to go in for a follow-up test in a couple months because she most likely has some fluid in her tiny ear canals skewing the test results (either that, or she’s gonna be in mommy’s class in a few years)!

The opthamologist came and examined the girls’ eyes one more time, and declared BOTH of them to have completely mature eyes and NO retinopathy! That’s right–between last week and this week, Bryn’s eye disease disappeared and her eyes fully matured. Prayers working–exhibit A.

Erinn the music therapist came and rocked out a little louder this time so Bryn could hear.

Grama Hansen came for some floor time. Grampa Hansen visited in his swat suit and long underwear between drywall projects, looking like a cross between an FBI agent, a contractor and a homeless man (it’s a crime we don’t have a picture of this)

Grama Windschitl got down and dirty with some poopy dipes (while Grampa Windschitl gave encouragement from the sidelines 🙂Nora added some more chins to her cuteness

The “take-down fairies” (self-named–I swear!) came all the way from Kansas to help clean out the girls’ room.

The doctor told us early in the week that Bryn totally had the green light to go home over the weekend, but Nora was still being putsy with her feeds and wasn’t gaining weight, so she had to prove herself over the next few days. Girlfriend had us on pins and needles with every bottle, hoping she’d take enough before she passed out. She lost weight almost everyday last week right up until the weekend, toying with mom and dad’s sanity. On Saturday the doc said they were BOTH ready to go home! (Cute sign left by Karen, our favorite night nurse)

We didn’t dare waste time, in case she changed her mind. We got treats for the staff, got the stroller put together and Nick put on his discharge shirt.

We waited for an empty elevator (damn, that stroller is huge, even folded up)

We gave them one last feed

ripped their lead wires off, and turned off the monitors (goodBYE beeping)!

We strapped the ladies into their chariot, and off we went.

Goodbye, Children’s! We owe you our first born(s). I will especially miss Christopher greeting me in the mornings at the welcome desk and asking if I have a fever, cough or runny nose everyday. Your concern for our health has been so sweet. =)

You best  believe I rode in the backseat! Bryn–wake up–you’re missing all the drug deals on Chicago Ave !

Hey Nora–where are your cute giraffe pants? What’s that? You peed in them (and your carseat) on the way home? Oh.

Holy big girl bed, batman!

So now the fun really begins! As of press time (this blog post was written in 5 minute increments over 3 days), we have managed to keep 2 human beings alive for 72 hours, and even shower once. Thanks to our awesome Upper Room community (more specifically The One and Only Kathy Jones!) we even have FOOD!!

Now–visitors! We want nothing more than to share Nora and Bryn with all of you! Because it is RSV season (common cold virus, but very dangerous for infants) and they are preemies, a home health nurse comes monthly between now and March to give them RSV shots. At $2800 each (x2…each month…for 5 months), you can imagine how important the doctors feel it is for them to NOT get sick! So Dr’s orders are: If you have not been sick in the last 48 hours, haven’t been around anyone who has been sick in the last 48 hours, and are not a kid, you can visit (but not touch)! We also need to limit the number of visitors each day and the amount of time visitors can stay. Soap and water hand-wash when you arrive (we tried to steal the handwashing machine from the ICC before we left–no dice), and, thanks to the take-down fairies, we ended up with some cans of hand foam in our bag on the way out (!), so you can foam in and out hospital-style. SO FUN, RIGHT?!

Words cannot express our gratitude to all of you who have been reading this blog, rooting for our miniatures, posting supportive comments, and sending up prayers. Hearing cries in our house these last couple of days reminds us of the long road it took to get these babes home, and how much worse for wear we would have been without all of you. Thanks, from the bottoms of our babies.


Sara & Nick